Kitchen renovations are done by people who want a new look to their kitchen or make it more energy efficient to help them get more space. Remodeling and renovations depend on a large extent on the space of the kitchen, the budget, the lifestyle and also the individual taste of the owners.
Some easy tips for renovations and which do not burst the budget are:
- Giving the walls and the ceiling a fresh coat of paint.
- Good lighting has a psychological effect and makes the kitchen look brighter, more cheerful and easier to work with.
- Small ceiling mounted lights should be replaced with larger and brighter as well as more energy efficient fixtures.
- Under cabinet lighting adds brightness to the counters and make it work easier. Most under cabinet lighting is hardwired and is behind the walls but are also quick fix models can be plugged into outlets.
- If the baseboards, doors and window casings as well as crown molding is prettier and of better quality, it will make the home look more expensive and better.
- Appliances which are energy efficient and of good quality will add to the look of the kitchen. For example, if the homeowner has a stainless steel professional range, he or she can pair it with a stainless steel refrigerator.
- Textured glass in cabinets adds to the look of the kitchen. Glass can be added to cabinet door fronts and used to display serving-ware. Frosted or etched glass hides shelves which contain dishes which are not display worthy.
- Lazy Susan’s, smooth drawer glides, roll out shelving as well as pot and pan organizers help improve the look of the kitchen design. This needs to be combined with replacement of worn or old parts like knobs on dishwashers, electric range burners and refrigerator shelves.
- When a good tile backsplash is added to the kitchen and it extends from the kitchen counter till the bottom of the wall cabinets or even till around the sink and other walls, it adds a sense of luxury. These can either be monochromatic or it can be custom designed. These can be made of different material including wood, tile or glass. Patterned tiles when added or even mix tile shapes add individuality.
- Modular furniture when added to the kitchen opens up the kitchen to a lot of space and makes it look more organized, neater and more expensive.
When choosing the budget for kitchen renovations it needs to be divided on an average of 35% for the cabinets, 20% for labor, 10% for windows, 20% for appliances, 5 % for fixtures, and 3% for fittings and the rest for other expenses. However, one needs to ensure that you have budgeted for at least 20% less than the actual budget, as there always will be cases where there is a sudden surprise element. Either the walls or floor when ripped out may lead to discovery that there is rot or termites or even wiring might need replacement if there is some damage or change of plans during renovations. If this amount has not been kept aside, the homeowner would find himself or herself getting a rude shock and blowing up their budget.
What really helps is making a spreadsheet and checking it with the actual and the budgeted amount on a daily basis, to ensure that the renovation and remodeling is not overstepping the budget. The homeowner should not get tempted to add more to the project than what was initially decided upon as that will considerably increase the budget.