As the number of cases of robbery is increasing day by day, your must takes optimum level of security and safety for your home by taking adequate measures. However, there is another important aspect which you must take into consideration that is your garage. This is one place where one of your most precious possessions is being stored, your car. With the number of carjacking incidents increasing at a good pace, it is absolutely necessary for you to arrange for proper security. When it comes to your garage, like your home, the door is the first and last obstacle for an intruder. Therefore, you need to take special care that your garage door is equipped with all the mechanisms which would make life difficult for the intruders and at the same time you would find it easy to operate.
In the following section, you will be offered a couple of tips that would help you to enhance the security of your garage.
How to Make Your Garage Door Safer?
There are a couple of aspects which you need to take care of when it comes to your garage door. Here are some of them-
- The Garage Door Opener: You must make sure that the garage door opener is out of the reach of the children. They are the ones who are likely to tamper with them which might result in an open garage door, leaving a safe passage for the intruders. Besides, they can also end up damaging it.
- The Remote Control: If you have a remote control for your garage door, then make sure to use it carefully. Again, the remote control should be kept away from the children as they might damage it or keep the door open without your knowledge.
- The User Manual: You must have the user manual handy. The manual plays a very important role when it comes to the emergency release features. You can get a detailed knowledge about these features from the manual.
- Inspect the Garage Door: Make it a habit of running a visual inspection of the garage door. Look for the signs of wear in the springs, pulleys, rollers and cables. If you find anything to be out of order, in that case, please do not try to fix it by yourself. Get in touch with a professional who has the skills and expertise to diagnose and fix the issues.
- Reversing Mechanism: The reversing mechanism of the garage door opener should be tested every month. You can do this by placing a paper towel roll or a 2/4 board in the path of the door. If you find that the door is not reversing after it gets in touch with these objects, then it is time for you to get in touch with a garage door technician. If the garage door opener has not been changed for a long time, in that case, you might have to go for a new one which has auto-reverse features.
- Don’t keep the Door Open: Don’t keep the door partially open. Make sure that the door is always closed when the garage is not being used.
- Access Code: It is very important for you to change the access code of the remote control. You might compromise the security aspect of your garage door if you continue with the same access code for a long period.
With these tips, you can be assured that your garage is under complete security and the chances of intrusion are minimal and can be reduced to a great extent.