You think about roof restoration during your routine home maintenance, or when you notice some leakage or damage, or if you planning to sell off your property. Roof restoration saves you a lot of time and money as compared to roof replacement. A property with a restored roof can demand a better price than an unkempt one. A restored roof creates a great impression. Most often roof restoration is seriously considered during property sale so that one can fetch a better price. By sitting on damages and repairs, you end up undertaking far extensive restorations than if you had done routine maintenance on time.
Do’s and Don’ts of Roof Restoration:
- Most often your roof only needs some repairs here or there. In normal cases, you never really should replace the whole roof unless there are substantial issues. You need to undertake timely restorations to prevent the damage from aggravating and spreading to other structures. By undertaking timely restoration, you not only avoid further damage and restore the strength and stability of the roof, but also extends the life of roof. The fact is that many roof replacements are done by contractors without an actual need of it, by exaggerating the damage that has occurred to roof, to net a bigger project. Restoration is cheaper because you need to pay lesser tax on restoration and restoring your roof extends its life by 10 to 15 years.
- Before you let anyone restore, you need to check the roof yourself or by someone you trust. Visual inspection for signs of damage can give you an estimate of the amount and type of restoration required. Pools of water being trapped, patches of moisture, patches of molds, cracks and gaps etc., are visible signs of damage. List out these signs and assess the extent of the damage.
- At this stage, it is better to consult a professional roof restoring agency to present you an estimate of the damage by inspecting the roof. You can compare their report with your personal assessment. Maybe you can rope in a couple of such agencies or companies whose credentials have been confirmed, to inspect and give an estimate. The one that has presented a realistic report with a reasonable rate should be chosen.
- One of the main advantage of choosing a professional company is that they will have the technical skill to repair the damages. They will also inspect and identify problems in waiting and do the needful restorations. Moreover, they will have exposure to latest construction materials and innovations, which they will be able to employ to restore your roof. They may also have business relationships with local hardware shops from where they can procure materials at discounted prices.
- They will also have perfect understanding of the quality of various products and brands that have flooded the market, helping you make better choice regarding quality and type of materials that is most suited for the kind of restoration that is being undertaken.
- Before beginning the roof restoration ask for a detailed quote from all contractors, whom you have short listed. By comparing the quotes, you can see what are the systematic types of work each of them plan to do. This would give you a better understanding of the professionalism of each of the contractors. Discuss thoroughly about any missed procedures with the contractor you have selected. Discuss also the rates and about labor and material guarantees. Ensure that these details are documented in the quote, so that it can work to your advantage in the future for any maintenance issues within guarantee period. Research the internet for reviews about the company and confirm there are enough satisfied customers near your locality, making them reliable enough to be given the contract for your roof restoration.
August 1, 2017