A balanced diet is key to maintain the good health of your pet. Surely, every dog owner has sometime given the dog a treat. However, it is essential to ensure that you give only healthy food options to the pet and high-quality treats from the premium pet treat manufacturers. If you are very particular about maintaining a proper diet for the dog, don’t undo all the good by selecting any wrong treat for the pet.
There exist many treats that will complement and complete the perfect diet. All you need is the tips to select the right healthy treats from the different options available in the market. By the end of this post, you will have enough knowledge about choosing the right manufacturer of treats for your furry friend.
Consider the age of the dog
Healthy dog treats have nutritious values. So, you must consider the age of your pooch first before choosing the treat.
- The treats come in various sizes, hardness, and shapes. Therefore, you must select the ones that the dog can consume easily and gain maximum nutrition.
- Also, you must consider the breed. For instance, pet treat manufacturers produce treats for large pets separately. You cannot give the treats of an English Mastiff or a Great Dane to the Poodle.
Assessing your dog and its eating habit is necessary to choose the right pet treat.
Check the list of ingredients
The hunt for the best treats begins with scrutinising the ingredients list. You will find the complete list of ingredients along with the weight and proportion on the label. The standard listing process has sorting depending on higher to lower weight properties of the ingredients.
- The first ingredient that the pet treat manufacturers mention is crucial as it makes up most of the content.
- Fresh, pure, and most organic options are the best for furry friends.
- Whole food ingredients are always better than the food fractions or the by-products.
For instance, wheat is always better than wheat flour, and wheat flour is always better than wheat germ or wheat brand. More processing implies more opportunities for adulteration and subsequent contamination.
Avoiding artificial sweeteners
The top-notch pet treat manufacturers always avoid using artificial sweeteners for making the treats. The manufacturers should use food-based natural ingredients, like honey, applesauce, or molasses to add the necessary sweetness.
It is difficult to disapprove sweetness into food, but the manufacturers do make it possible to use the natural sweeteners as the occasional treats for the dogs should taste fine to the canines. The manufacturers are also specific about the use of natural preservatives instead of artificial ones. The mixed tocopherols comprising Vitamin C and Vitamin E are safe but effective natural preservatives. You can buy treats without preservatives, but you need to store them properly.
Health history of pet
If your dog already has a medical history, then you must ensure that the vet suggests the right diet. In this regard, we must understand that dogs will have food restrictions just like humans based on their health. Their body will also react to certain ingredients if the body is encountering the ingredient for the first time.
- Consultation with the expert will help in identifying the best pet treat manufacturers and their products.
- You can avoid the allergens as per instructions.
Health history influences food habits actively.
By now, you may have a clear idea about how to select the right food and the right pet treat manufacturers for your pet. However, you should abstain from overfeeding with treats to avoid obesity or weight gain in the dog.