Leaking showers become irritating if not repaired immediately. This is due to the drip after drip that makes it more and more annoying. The worst part is that there is huge wastage of water if the shower constantly leaks. If there is a leakage on the side from where the hot water comes, then there is a chance of significant wastage of energy. This is because the water heater has to operate constantly in order to warm the water. This also increases the electricity bill of the users. The fact that is of more concern is if there is leakage inside the wall this may give rise to structural problems which is not only hazardous but also expensive. Usually it is seen that showers and bathtubs are leak-prone. It happens if the inner seals are worn or certain parts become corroded or clogged.
How to fix leaking showers?
- The most common reason for leaking showers in baths and shower trays is the movement in the fitting. Hence it is first important to find out if the fitting is secure.
- It is also advisable to remove the bath panels to make the bath secured. This can be done by making sure if the under-hanging bath lip is firmly screwed to the base. You also have to make sure that all the connections that are on the frame are firm.
- Once the bath becomes secure, it needs a re-sealing. It will not work for long if you keep an old sealant over the new one. You have to strip off the old adhesive with the help of sealant remover.
- Once the sealant is removed, you can use a rag that is dipped in solvent thinners which will clean the surface. It has to left to dry for at least few hours and later you can apply modulus sealant.
What to know about leaking pipes?
- The most important feature of pipes is its exterior. So you have to wrap up the pipes in times of heat. This prevents the pipes from freezing during cold temperatures. It is always a better option to insulate the entire space.
- The user should check the leaking showers routinely by looking at the visible pipes. If you are not particular about this, then maybe there will be a puddle of water in the basement and will damage the valuables so it is essential to keep a check on what is going wrong.
- The sink has to be kept stuff free. This might easily spring into a leak. You have to often watch under the sink if there are any drips which can be attended at an earlier stage.
- The installation of a frost-free hose is important especially if the pipe is made to go through a cement foundation. The hose bib helps to shut off the water that goes inside the house and this helps to prevent freezing.
- The leaking water heater is a huge problem. The reason is that the lining wears away and the after constantly drip from the base. You have to therefore install a pan under it to avoid the problem.
- If you find that water is dripping from leaking showers spout, then you have to replace it. The cause may be either a defective washer or a defective seat. The best way is to have isolation valves to isolate water to that area. This will make it relatively easy to fix.
The faucet is basically a mechanical thing. Hence it may leak eventually. So it is better to install a new one if it has become old and corroded.
May 27, 2017
Leave a comment