Building or buying a home and decorating it beautifully is almost everyone’s dream. Some can fulfill their dreams, but others cannot. Still, we decorate our houses with whatever little we have. A very essential part of house decoration is decorating the floor. Different people choose different types of flooring for their house, depending on their budget and sense of decoration. Chevron Parquetry is one of them. Let’s find out more about this flooring option.
What is parquetry?
Parquetry is a kind of wood flooring that was invented way back in the renaissance period of history. It consists of laying the pieces of wood in a rhythmic pattern to create a geometric design on the floor. This technique of flooring is very popular, because a wide variety of wood can be used in the process which makes it cost-effective. Oak, walnut, cherry, lime, pine and maple wood are mostly used in making parquetry.
Types of parquetry flooring:
- The herringbone parquetry is the oldest parquetry pattern. It was invented in the year 1539 for the then king of France. The pattern is very popular even today. The herringbone pattern and chevron parquetry are somewhat similar. In the herringbone pattern of parquetry, rectangular blocks of wood are intersected in a zigzag manner.
- The flame stitch flooring pattern has sharp peaks. The design is done in multicolored hues. The pattern is named flame stitch because it resembles flames.
- The chevron parquetry also comes in a zigzag design. It creates a sharp point while creating the v shape.
What is chevron parquetry?
Chevron is a popular design used in flooring. It is created by fitting the woodblocks in such a manner that they meet point to point and create a zigzag design. This design of parquetry is gaining popularity among modern interior decorators for its great looks and durability.
Benefits of chevron parquetry:
- It has a high-quality surface finish.
- It has a wide range of colors to choose from, so designers can select as per the interiors and client expectations.
- It is designed using 3 layered engineered technology.
- The designing is done using a wide range of timber types, providing a choice of design and budget both to the designers as well as buyers.
The difference between herringbone parquetry and chevron parquetry:
- Herringbone parquetry has a broken zigzag pattern whereas chevron has a continuous zigzag pattern.
- In chevron pattern, the blocks are fixed at an angle that gives a V shape, whereas in herringbone pattern the wooden planks do not give a V shape.
- In the chevron pattern, the blocks touch one another to form milter joints, whereas in a herringbone pattern, the ends are butted.
- Chevron planks are cut at forty-five-degree angles, whereas herringbone planks are cut at ninety-degree angles.
How to maintain chevron parquetry?
- Chevron is sensitive to moisture like all other types of parquetry. It is very important to maintain the relative humidity of the house or office at forty to sixty per cent.
- Chevron is not stainproof. You should avoid the use of excessive water to clean the floors, as it may lead to staining of the floor.
- The parquet lacquer should be refreshed from time to time by using glycerin, vinegar and water.
- The parquetry should be prevented from scuffs, scratches and dents by placing protective felt feet under furniture.
- Avoid the piling up of excessive dust on the floor by placing mats at entry doors.
- Once or twice a year, you can call a professional for floor cleaning.
The above article gives an insight into chevron parquetry. You can go through the article to get knowledge on parquetry if you are planning to change your floor design.
December 11, 2019