Mold is a natural phenomenon which is not usually dangerous, or an issue, if it remains outside your home. The problems start when you have mold inside your property. This normally happens if there is an area of your home where there is an issue with damp. This is because mold relies on damp to flourish.
mold relies on damp
Mold Damp
If you have an unidentified leak in your home, or water is getting in from the outside, the surrounding area may become damp. This is the perfect environment for mold. Once it takes hold, mold can cause health issues for the people living in your home. Some people are sensitive to mold, and they can experience itchiness in their eyes or throat. They may also develop a cough that is only present when they are inside the property.

Take a look at this information provided by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), for more information about health issues that are associated with mold. Obviously, you do not want the people living in your home to experience any of these health issues. This is why you need to deal with mold problems as soon as possible.

Dealing with mold that affects your property

If you have a mold problem in your property, you can try to deal with it yourself. There are several methods you can employ.
  • Use a solution with a ratio of one cup of bleach to one gallon of water. This solution should be sprayed, or sponged, onto the affected area. You should not rinse the area after the treatment, unless it’s a surface used during food preparation. If the area is not rinsed, the bleach can continue to protect against mold. This solution does not work on porous surfaces.
  • Spray undiluted vinegar onto the surface which has been affected by mold. Once the vinegar has been left on the surface for an hour, wipe it away with a damp cloth.
  • Use ammonia labelled “clear ammonia”, in a solution which is fifty per cent ammonia and fifty per cent water. Spray the affected area with the solution, leave the solution in place for a few hours and then wipe the area down. Do not forget that ammonia is toxic, so you should be careful when using it, and you should never mix it with bleach. This solution does not work on porous surfaces.
Any of these methods can help you remove mold in your home. If you have problems removing the mold yourself, you should call an Environmental Professional and ask them to inspect your home.

Getting professional help with mold removal

It’s the job of an Environmental Professional to call to your home, and conduct an inspection. They will tell you what needs to be done to address the problem. It’s then up to you to contact an expert in mold remediation, to get rid of the mold for you.

You should be able to get a free quote for the work, which will involve getting rid of all of the mold that is currently present in your home. The experts should also treat your home, so that it’s less likely the mold will appear again. As soon as your home has been treated, you should have further tests carried out. These tests will enable you to see whether the treatment was successful or not.

Having a problem with mold in a property is far more common than you might think. Many people do not realise that a part of their home is damp, until mold starts to appear. If you think that there is a problem with mold in your home, you should not hesitate to have it dealt with, as soon as possible.