The summers are unbearably hot and humid in many equatorial and tropical countries, in these areas the only way to have a sound sleep at night is to install an air conditioner at home. Hence, in many places air conditioner is not a luxury, but a necessity of everyday life. It allows the residents of the house to stay cool in the summer heat and spend comfortable time at home.
But the main problem with an air conditioner is that it draws too much energy and as a result, a huge electric bill needs to be paid at the end of the month. Luckily, there are a few effective methods for decreasing the high consumption of energy through the air conditioning system; that will lead to the reduction of the electric bill amount.
Some practical methods that can be applied for reducing the cooling expense
- Seal all kinds of leakage in the room – The air conditioner needs to work more if the cool air leaks out of the room. Hence, the rooms of the house should be checked to be fully sealed, when the AC is kept on. The windows should be covered well with the blinds, to block sunlight from entering the rooms.
- Check the ENERGY STAR – As an electrical appliance with ENERGY STAR is supposed to be much energy-efficient in nature, it is always wise to buy only an ENERGY STAR certified air conditioner to cool the home, while consuming minimum energy.
- Usage of AC for a single room – Much more energy is required, when central air conditioner is used at home. Rather, it is cheaper to install Window AC or a Split AC in each room, which demands much lesser electrical energy.
- Regular servicing of the AC – The air conditioner should be periodically serviced by experienced professionals from any AC repair service provider company. The proper maintenance of the air conditioners at least once a year keeps it in proper working condition and saves much energy. The ducts of the AC should be checked by the professionals to be totally insulated, as any kind of leakage will result in drawing of more energy. The filters of the AC should be cleaned regularly and kept dust-free, to ensure best operation.
- Regulate the temperature of thermostat – The temperature of the air conditioner should be kept at a higher level, which should be only a few degrees lower than the actual environmental temperature, to keep the room comfortably cool. But the practice of increasing the temperature, by regulating the thermostat, saves a lot of energy. The temperature can be made even higher on rainy days or at night, when the natural environment is much cooler.
- Place the thermostat on cooler wall – When the air conditioner or its thermostat is placed on a much heated wall that receives too much sunlight, naturally the AC has to work harder to cool the room, demanding more energy for that work. Therefore, it is better to place the thermostat on the wall that receives the least sunlight, throughout the day; more preferably on any interior wall.
- Turn off the AC when not needed – When the residents of the house are not at home, the AC should be turned off, to save unnecessary wastage of energy. The air conditioner can cool the rooms very fast, when turned on after a long time, so the residents do not need to stay in hot rooms for long. The AC can also be turned off or kept in ‘sleeping mode’ on a cooler night, for saving much energy. The fans can be occasionally used for cooling the rooms, instead of the constant use of the air conditioner.
We hope that the above mentioned tips will help you to save expense on Air Conditioning and makes you happy when you will see the reduced electricity bill.
October 15, 2016